I wrote this article on the plane, on my way to the Canary Islands, trying to compress the approximately 6 hours of flight and reduce the minutes of anxiety.
… I’m trying to gather all my positive thoughts and I realize it’s wonderful! I can reach the Canary Islands with Wizzair, flying directly from Bucharest to Tenerife. A few years ago, from Romania, you could reach only by layovers, the best options for which you could choose being Madrid or Barcelona, then, with another domestic flight, land on one of the islands.
The Canary Islands – an archipelago that includes 7 islands formed by volcanic eruptions, belongs to Spain and is very close to the Northwest of Africa. The impressive relief, endless beaches and pleasant weather at any time of the year made these destinations extremely attractive places for spending the holidays in the seven islands: Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, La Gomera, El Hierro or Las Palma. Of all these attractions, Tenerife has gained more ground in tourists’ options around the world, an important point of interest being the Teide Volcano, the lunar relief and the countless fun possibilities you can meet all the time.
I’m feeling again, the same sensations of agitation I experience every time I fly. The thought that in a few hours I will be in a loving place where I was before a few years back, distracts for a few seconds my attention from the ceiling of clouds that opens to the ground and from the child, about 3 years old, who he has been crying since the embarkation gate has been opened and, more likely, since he sat in the seat in front of me. But he is so cute when he gets up and looks around to draw attention for a few extra seconds 🙂
I go back to the Canary Islands and the thought that the wide beaches are waiting for me, bathed by the strong waves of the Atlantic and guarded by rocks formed by the hot lava of angry volcanoes.
Why did we chose the Canary Islands?
- 4 years ago I first set foot on a volcanic island, Tenerife, and the places I discovered there fascinated me and made me come back for others yet undiscovered.
- There are many places in the world I love and where I’d go back, one of them is Asia, which has left its mark in my soul and where I find myself every time. Now, however, I felt the need for a holiday closer to home, in a warm place, only good to go to the beach in the spring when in the country is still snowing. And I was not the only one who thought so: the plane is full of Lovers of the Canary Islands 🙂
- Wizzair has a flight of about 6 hours without any layovers, landing on Tenerife Island, from where it can easily reach other islands. I prefer non-stop flights, all the more so as the number of landings and take-offs that I do not like is reduced.
- I will take many pictures in places I can hardly wait to see and about which I documented as well as I could. I will also be in less touristic areas for a wild and not so familiar parts of nature.
- Oh!!! Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival, the world’s second largest carnival after Rio de Janeiro. It is an old dream of mine to walk through the streets of the capital of Tenerife island and to admire the famous parades organized on this occasion.
How did we plan the holiday in the Canary Islands?
- It was a decision we took in a hurry, one day when all television stations predicted harsh frosts and heavy snowfalls in the country. In February, the Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival is unfolding, and I wanted to go there all the way, so I chose the time frame for this event that attracts tens of thousands of tourists every year
- The option to fly with Wizzair was the only one I took into account, given the direct flight from Otopeni. The price of 693 euros for 2 people was not a small one, given the fact that we decided to leave 3 weeks before the flight. Moreover, because the Canarian trip will last for 2 weeks and because the islands in the mountain areas are colder than in the beach, we also took a baggage. They’re tax-free islands, but I do not want to run through stores to buy clothes for cooler days. Of course, if we had bought the plane tickets earlier, we would have paid much less.
- The initial plan we made was to allocate 16 days to Tenerife Island. With a basic reservation on the internet, we stayed relaxed until 5 days before departure. Meanwhile, information from several forums and blogs opened new horizons and attracted attention that not only this island is spectacular, many of them at least as beautiful, but not so much promoted. So, shortly before flying, we canceled everything we initially programmed and reconfigured the route 🙂
- We chose the islands we’ll go and we’ve documented well all the areas we’ll see and the way we get there.
- We booked all the islands accommodation, especially as it was a time when carnival events were taking place everywhere, most of the accommodation areas were either busy or very expensive. With airplane tickets in hand, we did not have much choice and we paid a higher price for accommodation. Because many places we are about to reach will be very crowded, we preferred to get close to the important tourist attractions, not to waste time crossing the cities from one side to the other. I will detail the accommodation prices in future articles, because there will also be impressions from those places.
- Transportaiton is another detail to which I have given maximum importance. Most Canary Islands have a sensational infrastructure, easy to reach from one island to another, and modern highways inside the islands. The best option for us was to rent a car from the airport and have it for all the days of the holiday. We chose to rent from Cicar, a company that provides more facilities, including the possibility to drive cars on other islands, with all the important insurances up to date. For 16 days I paid 235 Euros from home, a good price due to the large number of days that the rental car is.
Again on the plane. The captain has announced that we will land in Tenerife half an hour late because we have very strong front winds. Another reason to panic again and repeat: I do not like to travel by plane. The child in front of me is crying at the maximum intensity. From the time of the take-off and until now I saw only giant clouds to the ground and a strong sun above everyone. I’m thinking of landing in Tenerife on a very small track, and if this article appeared on my blog, it means we landed well and I was at the beach at least once 🙂 It’s not a joke, the next time I will fly I’ll be under the effect of a sleeping pill, it’s time to try new things 🙂
At 11,700 meters above the ground is the best altitude for a successful makeup 🙂 Shortly before landing, the baby in front of me fell asleep, and her mother covered her dark circles under her eyes through a make-up session with impeccable finale. I look at her discreetly and I admire her for the precision she applies the eyeliner and I think seriously that I need some makeup lessons to help me get better at least at home 🙂
I can not wait for the experiences of the Canary Islands and I will return with impressions and photos. I hug you!